Friday, February 6, 2009

Jacob the Barbarian, Page One

JTB-01

First Previous Next Today

If you don't know who Conan the Barbarian is, there's only one thing you really need to know: He's so badass, the only guy they could get to play him in a movie was Arnold Schwartzenegger. Yeah. Conan's so badass, when admitting that he's afraid of death, he makes the other guy sound like a wussy.

Guy: So, were you afraid when it looked like you were about to die?
Conan: He who does not fear death has not truly thought about it at all. *contemptuous glare*

Yeah. There's a series of Conan the Barbarian comic books done by Marvel, and more recently by Dark Horse, and pretty much every panel, Conan packs so much badass into everything he does, it burns out the eyes of the weaker readers. He's so awesome.

So, this story arc is the result of a bad joke I made to myself. I thought, what would my life be like if I were Conan the Barbarian? I came up with a few short jokes, then some longer ones, and then I thought, what the hey, I'll just make a whole comic about it. One of the good things about this is that it's forcing me to make my drawings more detailed. My pictures for the first few were really small, and I couldn't do much with them, but now I've got more space, since it's a 6x9 rectangle. I'm using the actual Conan the Barbarian comics as help for when I don't know how to draw things. I'm still not brave enough to do hands, though. They're scary.

However, this is my first time drawing a woman, and I think it turned out okay. I have to be careful about pressing down too hard with the pencil, though, because erasing leaves a very visible impression line.

No comments:

Post a Comment